I am a real estate finance lawyer who has a passion for getting deals done. I have a genuine interest and in-depth knowledge in the real estate industry and in clients’ businesses – drivers, crunch points and key issues. I really focus on the practicalities of a deal – cash flow, payment dates, what ifs. I insist on hands on project management, ensuring I am in top of all moving pieces of a transaction to make the process as seamless and efficient as possible.
I work with lenders and borrowers in all areas of real estate investment and development deals. I have worked across a wide range of sectors - housebuilding, student accommodation, care homes, regeneration, hotels and leisure, industrial retail and data centres.
I really value relationships, be it with clients, colleagues and contemporaries and enjoy having a strong network in this great industry. I have always enjoyed the headline industry events - MIPIM and the annual APL dinner – which provide wonderful opportunities to catch up with many friends and colleagues, shoot the breeze on what’s happening in the industry and just catch up (sorely missed in lockdown).
I am privileged to have been consistently listed as a rated individual in Legal 500, Chambers and Best Lawyers. It is immensely flattering to get such a recommendation from clients and peers.
I am an avid champion of fairness and equality, which has inevitably led to my heavy involvement in Inclusion and Diversity. l am proud to champion the firm’s LGBTQ+ Group, which we named “Without Prejudice” – a form of commitment in itself.
I am also proud to chair the firm’s CSR platform, with three sub teams focussing on Philanthropy, Environmental and Give Back and am thrilled to see engagement and proactivity in this key area.
Out of work, my interest in property continues. I love a good renovation project and my partner and I have refurbished a few sad and tired properties in the UK and one in Spain (now a beloved and treasured holiday home).
I am a passionate scuba diver – which leads us to some far flung, off the beaten track destinations in search of wonderful sea creatures and eerie wrecks. The accommodation can be basic but we meet some wonderful people with amazing stories.
My top experiences are probably up close encounters with whalesharks, sea lions and manta rays and my favourite destination is probably the Philippines.
I am also a keen horse rider – though a little more sedate these days.
Our real estate investment practice includes a formidable depth of experience advising on investment opportunities in the real estate sector, including sales, acquisitions, joint ventures, tax arrangements, an array of financial work and lettings. We work closely with teams throughout the firm to provide comprehensive and commercially-focused advice on complex investment work for domestic and cross-border clients.
We provide comprehensive advisory and transactional services to our clients. Our lawyers understand the regulatory environment in which both lenders and borrowers operate and the diverse range of financing structures now available.READ MORE
We provide practical solutions in contentious and non-contentious situations involving financially distressed businesses through our corporate restructuring and insolvency group. The team advises insolvency practitioners, banks, other lending institutions, stakeholders, troubled companies, directors and individuals on a variety of corporate insolvency-related issues.READ MORE
We have a detailed appreciation of the hotel industry’s dynamics and an understanding of the corporate, commercial, tax, real estate, planning and construction issues that affect businesses in the sector. This enables us to support clients in undertaking a wide range of sophisticated and complex transactions both in the UK and internationally.READ MORE
We advise on all the key issues affecting the property industry, including regeneration and development schemes, investment, funding, construction matters, property disputes, portfolio management, planning, taxation and the creation of corporate structures.READ MORE
We aim to provide clients with practical and commercial legal advice. By drawing upon our understanding of the needs of both borrowers and lenders, we are able to suggest innovative financing structures and anticipate issues in order to identify and solve problems early on.READ MORE
- Acting for Weston Group in relation to a loan facility of £203m to finance their purchases of land and provide general corporate finance and development funding. The loan was provided by a syndicate of four banks led by HSBC plc. Also advised on CLBILs loan facilities and bilateral finance facilities in relation to the development sale and leaseback of a new head office.
- Acting for Hodson Developments form early stages in relation to financing arrangements for the development site at Chilmington Green, Involved in initial financing of the acquisition of green field parcels of land for the initial site acquisition and advising on financing arrangements at each stage of the development and planning and infrastructure process.
- Acting for a clearing bank lender in relation to a series of bespoke loans to finance real estate investment and development including supermarket investments , super prime retail assets in the West End of London and advising on development financing.
- Acting for the borrower in relation to financing arrangements of the property at 2 – 8a Rutland Gate which was sold for £205m- £210m to officially become the UK’s most expensive home.
- Acting for lenders and borrowers in relation to healthcare portfolios and care homes including structuring lines of finance for acquisitions and development of care homes pharmacies and medical centres.