Although not primarily a contentious area, the nature of the real estate sector means that disputes do arise – whether over title matters, landlord and tenant issues or unauthorised occupation of land.
Our specialist real estate litigation team has the expertise and resources to handle property-related disputes of all types, delivering solutions that are practical, commercial and cost effective.
Our expertise includes:
- Commercial landlord and tenant matters, including opposed lease renewals under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954, rent recoveries, rent reviews, dilapidation disputes, matters concerning landlord’s consent or opposition to assignments, sub-lettings, and other disputes concerning the enforcement of covenants and the recovery of possession of premises
- Residential landlord and tenant matters including freehold acquisition and enfranchisement rights and service charge disputes
- Mixed commercial/residential premises
- Advising on and co-coordinating the obtaining of vacant possession of development sites
- Urgent eviction of squatters or other unauthorised occupiers of land
- Telecommunications – we have a specialist real estate telecommunications team that acts exclusively for landowners and developers on the management and removal of telecommunications apparatus
- Disputes arising out of the sale and purchase of land
- Disputes concerning rights or obligations relating to land including trespass, title disputes and ownership, rights of light, easements or other rights concerning land
- Advocacy in the high court, county court and tribunals
- Insolvency – we have particular expertise in the enforcement of covenants against both current and former tenants and/or their sureties and the effects of insolvency on clients’ property assets
- Arbitration, mediation and alternative methods of dispute resolution
Our real estate litigators work closely with our real estate lawyers to minimise the risk of disputes escalating to litigation. We understand that disputes often take place in the context of a larger transaction that cannot wait on the outcome of potentially protracted litigation. By responding quickly and anticipating issues we can help to prevent problems arising or minimise their effect. We strive to achieve early settlement wherever appropriate, but are experienced in the tactical use of litigation or other forms of dispute resolution to promote the best possible results for our clients.
For legal updates and news, please visit the Fladgate Dispute Resolution Hub.