I am a commercial litigator, with extensive experience of conducting complex UK and international commercial disputes involving litigation, international commercial arbitration including in Europe, the US, Africa, Russia and the CIS.
I recognise the disruption caused by a dispute, including the mechanisms available for its resolution. My job is to manage and resolve commercial disputes to achieve the best possible outcome for my clients.
I enjoy working closely with clients to understand their business and ambitions in order to chart a course through the uncertainty. I invariably become part of the client’s trusted adviser team, with a focus on enterprising and commercial solutions tailored to the client’s circumstances.
I have extensive expertise and contacts with third party litigation funders and can work with clients to structure funding to unlock claims, or remove the costs of litigation/arbitration from their balance sheet.
Clear communication and responsiveness are the bywords underpinning my client relationships. Coffee and stories about cycling and dogs are occasional features as well.
I act for clients in their capacity as claimants or defendant often in complex and high value claims. I work on a broad spectrum of matters but with some focus on fraud claims and those in the commodities, energy, natural resources and telecoms sectors.
I have conducted numerous international arbitrations before many of the arbitral institutions, including ICSID and have considerable expertise a handling multi-jurisdiction enforcement as well as collective actions.
I am also passionate about intellectual property and routinely advise on media cases; trade mark opposition and infringement proceedings; trade mark filing and registrations; brand management and portfolio advice; copyright and design right claims; defamation and data scraping actions, which often necessitate prompt applications for emergency injunctive relief.
I am an ADR Group accredited Civil and Commercial mediator and an Allied Member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys
I am a doting father of two, a superb* alpine cyclist, a dog lover and keen skier.
*disclaimer: this represents the impartial view of the sole legal practitioner surveyed!
Working closely with clients to anticipate and deal with their business risks and objectives, we utilise the skills of a team of lawyers who are experienced in all types of dispute resolution. Our multi-national, bi-lingual team enables us to service clients wherever they are in the world while achieving the best results for their business.READ MORE
We have a track record for taking on complex, high value and cross-border disputes across a range of sectors. Our strong international focus is a key strength. Our team acts for corporates, high net worth individuals and other overseas lawyers. The practice is home to a several international desks including India and the Middle East.READ MORE
One of the few firms with a pedigree of bringing major cases for individuals and companies, including within the growing group litigation sector. We have the ability to access, structure, organise, and obtain the funding required whilst mitigating much of the risk and keeping those costs off balance sheet.READ MORE
With full service disputes capabilities, substantial links to the funding community and a track record of acting on trailblazing cases, our specialist group litigation lawyers provide a bespoke service including the identification, assessment, structuring and launch of compelling cases for individual claimants and companies.READ MORE
We advise international companies both in the UK and abroad in relation to conducting arbitration proceedings and enforcing international arbitration awards. Our team is also experienced in dealing with investor-state arbitrations under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties, including the Energy Charter Treaty.READ MORE
Experienced litigation and commercial lawyers working together to advise clients on their full range of IP issues from trademarks and passing off, branding, confidential information and trade secrets through to designs rights, copyright, patents, IP audits and transactions.READ MORE
Through our extensive relationships with law firms around the world, our clients gain access to teams of lawyers worldwide with a deep understanding of the legal issues faced by businesses in the energy and resources sectors. We have particular experience of energy-related transactions in Africa and Eastern Europe.READ MORE
- Acting for the Respondent in the defence of an arbitration claim for US$150 million brought by a Russian company for alleged fraud in connection with mineral fertiliser trading in India and elsewhere.
- Acting for an Oil & Gas exploration company in connection with its arbitration claim for breaches of production sharing agreements by a sub-Saharan African state, resulting in an award of over $600 million in the client’s favour.
- Acting for a listed energy provider with interests in Russia and Africa in the defence of two international arbitration claims brought by its JV partner and with an alleged value of approximately US$55 million. The claims are for breaches of the concession and participation agreements arising from executing an upstream drilling program in Africa.
- Acting for 100+ claimants in a group action for restitution of monies paid to the privatised water and sewerage undertakings in England & Wales under a mistake of law and resulting from an unlawful demand, in breach of the Environmental Information Regulations 2004. The claim value is estimated at approximately £200 million.
- Acting for major international female recording artist in a claim for copyright infringement resulting in the successful removal of the infringing material from the website in question and a prohibition on use.