I specialise in advising developers and property investors on planning and related development issues such as rights to light, compulsory purchase and land contamination. I advise on both non-contentious issues and contentious matters.
I have been advising clients for over 30 years and joined Fladgate from Essex County Council more than 20 years ago. Planning has been in a state of constant change since I was a trainee solicitor, as has the expectation of clients. I make sure that I really understand what my clients are trying to achieve, what their priorities are and how they like to work (some clients prefer to read everything, others next to nothing). I draw on my experience in both the public sector and in private practice to give advice that is user friendly, commercial and practicable. My clients range from large house builders and commercial developers to private clients and public institutions.
When I am not working I like to get outdoors. That generally tends to be for a game of 5-a-side or squash but when I can I head to the mountains to hike or ski and build the (very occasional) snow hole. All helps to prepare for Glastonbury.
We advise on all the key issues affecting the property industry, including regeneration and development schemes, investment, funding, construction matters, property disputes, portfolio management, planning, taxation and the creation of corporate structures.READ MORE
Our planning and environmental team advise our real estate clients on all aspects of planning law, strategy and related risks. Our environmental experience includes permitting matters, public nuisance and water pollution, either as a stand-alone engagement or as part of a corporate or real estate transaction.READ MORE
We advise secondary and primary-market investors in a range of sectors, PPPs/PFI and asset-backed vehicles we advise investors and contractors on their involvement with PPPs, PFIs and asset-backed vehicles and are experienced in drafting and negotiating appropriate forms of contract (including standard forms) and associated sub-contracts. We also act for a number of investors and contractors on existing renewable energy and battery storage projects, PPPs and PFIs, including advice to investors on the acquisition of portfolios of PFI/ PPP and renewable energy generation assets.
A large and dedicated real estate team providing a full service to clients operating in the sector. The expertise of our lawyers means we can handle all level of transactions from asset management through to the most complex matters while clients benefit from the efficiency a one-stop-shop can provide.
An experienced team with a pedigree of advising across the life cycle of major development and redevelopments from financing, purchase, planning and construction through to lettings and disposal.READ MORE
- Advised Hodson Developments on planning applications, associated s106 and other infrastructure agreements for the development of 5,750 houses at Chilmington Green near Ashford.
- Advised Cheshunt Lakeside on a planning application and s106 agreement for the re-development of the former Tesco’s Head Office in Cheshunt to provide a residential-led mixed-use development including basement parking; up to 1,853 apartments; up to 19,051 sq m commercial floorspace including business, retail, community and leisure use; a two form entry primary school and a new local centre plaza.
- Advised Music Walk of Fame Limited (MWF) on its application to the London Borough of Camden for permission to install a “Hollywood style” walk of fame along the public highway in Camden and on the associated regulatory agreements with the London Borough of Camden and Transport for London.
- Advised the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea on a planning application submitted by Chelsfield for planning permission and listed building consent for the refurbishment and alteration of the Commonwealth Institute and residential development in the grounds . The residential development helped to fund the refurbishment of the Institute building prior to its occupation by the Design Museum.
- Advised MHA Group on a s106 agreement for the development of an industrial site at Trumpers Way in Hanwell to provide flexible working space together with 205 apartments in three buildings above a podium and eight townhouses.