I am part of our Growth Capital group and I advise on all aspects of mergers & acquisitions with a particular emphasis on venture capital funds.
After qualification at the start of the first ‘dot com’ boom I spent 12 months outside of the law co-founding an internet start-up before returning to private practice. I also spent 12 months as a quasi-general counsel at Gordon Brothers after the financial crash in 2008 working on distressed investments. Working in-house gave me the understanding of how best to deliver legal services through the eyes of a client. It has provided me with the tools to be responsive to client needs and demands and, above all, to provide practical, pragmatic and thoughtful business advice.
I have particular experience in technology and green energy and electric vehicle infrastructure. I was a very early adopter of electric vehicles since I acquired a GWIZ electric car in 2003! Range has certainly improved since the early days when I had to keep the radio and heating turned off to made sure I made it home.
Inclusion & Diversity is highly important to me and I am proud to play a leading role in continuing to develop our I&D Policy and, in particular, gender equality where I act as a Male Champion for Change.
As my children have become more self-reliant and independent, I have found myself with more time to take classes on Peloton (big fan of Jess Sims), walk our Cavapoo, and play golf.
Advising on venture capital and growth capital investments, the team offers extensive experience of market practice enabling the delivery of VC fundraisings in a timely and efficient manner. Clients trust the team to work on unusual and complex matters and guide them through difficult investments which are frequently first-of-a-kind.READ MORE
Through our extensive relationships with law firms around the world, our clients gain access to teams of lawyers worldwide with a deep understanding of the legal issues faced by businesses in the energy and resources sectors. We have particular experience of energy-related transactions in Africa and Eastern Europe.READ MORE
We provide practical solutions in contentious and non-contentious situations involving financially distressed businesses through our corporate restructuring and insolvency group. The team advises insolvency practitioners, banks, other lending institutions, stakeholders, troubled companies, directors and individuals on a variety of corporate insolvency-related issues.READ MORE
A team with the expertise, track record and resources to service a wide range of domestic and international clients on large-scale transactions, and our clients range from entrepreneurs to quoted multinational corporations, we have particular strength and an established reputation in the mid-market.READ MORE
- Advising Index Ventures, 83North, Zouk Capital, Creandum and Northzone (as the lead group of financial investors) on the sale of their interests in iZettle (mobile payment system) to PayPal Holdings. The total deal value was US$2.2bn.
- Advising Zouk Capital as the appointed manager of the Charging Infrastructure Investment Fund - a £400m fund set up by the government in partnership with the private sector on a joint venture with Liberty Global, the multinational telecommunications company in order to utilise powered street cabinets and under the pavement cables owned by Virgin Media (Liberty Global’s subsidiary) and revolutionise on-street electric car charging in the UK, which will roll out on-street residential electric vehicle charging points in the UK.
- Advising on the acquisition of Green Hedge Energy (which develops, realises and operates large scale grid-connected battery storage projects) as well as subsequent battery storage joint ventures.
- Advising 83North and Marathon Venture Capital in connection with their participation in a US$7.2M Series A investment in Landoop (a provider of a data streaming management platform).
- Advising Privet Capital on numerous investments including its acquisitions of Aeroment, Cash Processing Solutions and Vivid Toys.