I am a specialist in investment, corporate occupier and landlord and tenant real estate work.
I qualified in 1996 and have worked at Berwin Leighton (now BCLP), subsequently becoming a partner in 2007 at Olswang and then CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang. From 2000 to 2004, I was a lawyer at a US investment bank. I joined Fladgate in November 2018.
I specialises in commercial real estate, advising investors and corporate occupiers. I have particular experience and expertise in investment work (especially complex portfolio transactions, sales and leasebacks, and complex pre-lettings), and landlord and tenant work (acting for both landlords and major corporate occupiers).
I thrive on strong personal relationships with my clients, and seek to work with them in a way that suits them individually. I have enjoyed working with most of them for many years. I use my experience as a client from when I worked at a US bank as a constant reminder to see my work and approach transactions through a client’s eyes.
I enjoy the contrast and need to adapt between the often purely commercial approach of investor clients and the often highly bespoke and personal practical requirements of a corporate occupier.
We advise on all the key issues affecting the property industry, including regeneration and development schemes, investment, funding, construction matters, property disputes, portfolio management, planning, taxation and the creation of corporate structures.READ MORE
Our real estate investment practice includes a formidable depth of experience advising on investment opportunities in the real estate sector, including sales, acquisitions, joint ventures, tax arrangements, an array of financial work and lettings. We work closely with teams throughout the firm to provide comprehensive and commercially-focused advice on complex investment work for domestic and cross-border clients.
Our real estate occupiers team advise on the full range of tenant work, ranging from a start-up business’s first office through to major head office moves. They represent major office occupiers, professional businesses, hoteliers, restaurateurs and retailers, often with national portfolios, in their occupation requirements.READ MORE
A large and dedicated real estate team providing a full service to clients operating in the sector. The expertise of our lawyers means we can handle all level of transactions from asset management through to the most complex matters while clients benefit from the efficiency a one-stop-shop can provide.
Our lawyers don’t just advise on the law, but help our clients with the commercial implications of legal decisions. Our team focusses on the practicalities of retailing, whether through a busy store or shopping centre, or using e-tail channels.READ MORE
- Advising clients of Capreon UK on numerous asset and corporate acquisitions, including: a portfolio of retail parks and a department store for over £190m; a retail park for over £170m; over 30 mostly industrial properties for almost £400m and a subsequent debt re-structuring of the portfolio; a 200+ property portfolio for in excess of £600m; and shopping centres in Barnsley, Burton, Carlisle, Grimsby, Middlesbrough, and Stevenage, as well as several high street retail portfolios.
- Advising a leading global professional services business on its pre-letting of a bespoke c.100,000 sqftcentral London HQ in Midtown. This included advice on planning, construction, complex leasing and other commercial issues over a four year period.
- Advising a major US investment bank on the re-gearing of the leasing arrangements at its City of London based European HQ, comprising over 500,000 sqft of prime offices and trading floors.
- Advising Legal & General on the sale of CBRE’s London HQ at St. Martin’s Court, Paternoster Square, for in excess of £100m.
- Advising a Swedish investor on the surrender, extensive refurbishment and letting of a flagship store in New Bond Street and its subsequent sale in 2020 for in excess of £300 million.